NCLEX Forms for North Carolina
Licensure by Examination Applications:
RN/LPN Online Application: https://www.ncbon.com/NCLEX/
RN/LPN Application Fee: $75.00
Fingerprinting Fees: varies
Fees are non-refundable and payable to North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Applications for the state of North Carolina should be submitted online. This is STRONGLY encouraged. If you are unable to use the online form, you may request a paper application by emailing: [email protected] with the following information:
- Name and complete mailing address
- Name and location of your nursing program
- Date of graduation
- Type of exam (RN or LPN)
- Whether or not you have taken the NCLEX before and if so through which state
- Whether or not you have ever been licensed as an RN or LPN in North Carolina (if yes, provide social security number)
Fingerprints and a federal criminal background checks are required.
Submitting the application for licensure by examination does NOT register you for the NCLEX. Applicants must register and pay separately for the exam by going to: www.pearsonvue.com.
As part of the application process, you must:
- Register with Pearson Vue to take the NCLEX exam. You must do this during the last semester of your nursing program and before sending in the licensure application
- Verify that your nursing program has sent an electronic verification of completion to the Board, OR, if from an out-of-state school, request that an official transcript with degree conferred and date of conferral identified be mailed by the school directly the Board.
- Have your fingerprints taken. This will initiate the criminal background check. The fingerprinting process will be explained within the online application.
- Submit the application form along with the fee and any additional supporting documents.
Once the application, fee, fingerprints, and supporting documents have been reviewed, the Board will determine if you are eligible to test.
If you are eligible to take the NCLEX, you will receive an authorization to test (ATT) and instructions on scheduling the test.
When passing NCLEX results are received by the board, a license will be issued.
About Temporary Permits:
The North Carolina Board of Nursing issues temporary permits only to nurses seeking licensure by endorsement.
If you require special testing accommodations because of a disability, they should be requested at the time of application for licensure, and prior to scheduling the NCLEX. You must submit to the Board :
- Letter from candidate defining the disability and specific testing accommodations desired
- Documentation from a qualified professional with expertise in the area of the disability. Documentation must include:
- Recognized diagnosis found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- Identification of the specific standardized and professionally recognized test/assessments given (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson, Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale)
- The scores resulting from testing interpretation of the scores and evaluations
- Recommendations for testing accommodations with a stated rationale as to why the requested accommodation is necessary and appropriate for the diagnosed disability.
- A letter from your Nursing Program Director defining what accommodations the candidate was given while in school.
Note: Test anxiety and English as a second language is not protected under the ADA.
Need More Information?
Access the North Carolina Board of Nursing at: http://www.ncbon.com/